Two-year-old girl saves mom's life
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- She is only two years old, but a Harris County girl is being hailed a hero.
Little Lia Vega likes to play house and sing, but it's her vocabulary that is getting her all the attention at at their Highlands home.
"Mommy fell down on the floor and mommy fell down," Lia said.
Larissa Taylor was at her mother-in-law's house with Lia and baby Lexi last Thursday when the incident happened.
"I was going to wash my daughter's bottle and I blacked out after that, and woke up to my mom shaking me, waking me up," Taylor said.
Taylor didn't know she was diabetic. She also had no idea her daughter knew how to use the phone.
"I never taught her how to use the phone, so I have no clue how she picked it up. I assume just by watching us," she said.
Lia's grandmother, Bobbie Gonzalez, was on the other end of the phone call.
"It was Lia and she said, 'My mom fell down,'" Gonzalez recalled. "I said, 'Let me talk to your mom,' and she said, 'She won't wake up.'"
Gonzalez then called 9-1-1 and rushed to the home. Taylor made it to the hospital just in time.
The proud mother is giving Lia props.
"She's been wearing a towel around the house, calling herself a superhero, because mommy has told her about it," Taylor said. "So definitely she's my little superhero."
And Lia's grandmother is getting some extra hugs.
"She likes to aggravate and pick on her grandma," Gonzalez said, laughing. "She's my best friend."
Taylor says her story should be an example to mothers with young kids, especially if they have medical problems, to show them how to use the phone.
local, christine dobbyn
- Hwy 225 reopens following tanker accident 17 min ago
- Proposal to turn Astrodome into conference center 32 min ago
- Investigators want new probe of 1996 TWA crash
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico 47 min ago
- Dickinson police asking for help to find missing man
- Don't they like the way he looks?
- Cypress teen Danielle Bradbery wins 'The Voice'
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases
- Texas tops US in number of lost, stolen firearms
- Feds: Men tried to make X-ray weapon
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos