Woman accused of stealing from purse at deposition
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston woman is accused of stealing a debit card from a legal assistant's purse while attending a deposition.
Quinita Tere Bryant, 38, is charged with credit/debit card abuse. According to court documents, Bryant attended a deposition on July 5 with her husband and gave her deposition first. She then waited in a separate room at the law offices while her husband gave his deposition with the female victim, who was a legal assistant helping with the depositions.
The victim says a few days after the deposition, she discovered nine fraudulent charges on her debit card and that they all took place on July 5 right after the deposition with the Bryants. The victim told investigators she remembered that she put her purse behind her desk and left it unattended while assisting with Bryant's husband's deposition. She says the Bryants were the only people scheduled for depositions on that day.
Investigators say they obtained surveillance video of Quinita Bryant using the victim's debit card at a Walmart and a Murphy USA gas station on July 5.
Court documents show investigators questioned Bryant about the charges and when they told her about the surveillance videos, they say Bryant admitted to walking behind the victim's desk in her office on July 5 and taking the debit card from her purse while waiting for her husband to give his deposition.
Police say Bryant told them she also used the stolen card at McDonald's, Texaco, CVS and a beauty supply store that same day.
Bond has been set at $2,000.
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation 15 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dead body found in pickup in Richmond 18 min ago
- Third person dies following SXSW accident 1 min ago
- Armed suspect shot, killed by officer in Baytown 10 min ago
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
21 min ago