Thieves target Halloween decorations
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some thieves are spoiling Halloween for kids by ripping off homeowners for thousands of dollars in Halloween decorations.
Police say it's been happening in and around the Tanglewood neighborhood, just west of the West Loop.
If you look around, you'd never know Halloween is just a few days away. Most homes in this neighborhood aren't decorated on the outside. For Courtnay Elias it was a difficult choice to make.
"Also if you notice I don't even have pumpkins out this year. Things have been taken and smashed. It's just terrible," Elias said.
She's talking about the surveillance pictures that show two men appearing to take Halloween decorations from a home. It happened about 2am Thursday in the Pine Shadows subdivision.
"Yeah, that's from our security camera," said resident Tom McDonald.
He said the men took two fake crows and a Halloween banner.
"It just seems baffling. Why they would do something like this? We've been trying to come up with reasons for it -- a prank, fraternity initiation, who knows," said McDonald.
When we asked him if the men looked familiar, McDonald replied, "No, not at all."
According to Houston police, this is one of at least four reported thefts of Halloween decorations happening over the past four days inside the Tanglewood and Pine Shadows subdivisions. They don't necessarily believe all the incidents are connected. Property loss and damage totals about $5,000.
The McDonalds knew about the crimes through neighborhood patrol emails but were still surprised when they went outside on Thursday.
"My wife came outside and she was like, 'Oh my gosh.' So immediately I checked our video cameras and there they were; clear as day," McDonald said.
The suspects may be driving a dark-colored SUV, according to a neighborhood watch alert issued to Tanglewood residents.
If you have any information about the suspects in this case, you are urged to contact Crime Stoppers are 713-222-8477.
local, cynthia cisneros
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 38 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 39 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 15 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 9 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her