Officials investigating fatal rollover in Fort Bend Co.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- This weekend was supposed to be a birthday celebration for a Fort Bend County family. Instead, it turned tragic.
Authorities say seven people, including children, were inside a sports utility vehicle that collided with another vehicle and overturned on Texas 99 at Harlem. One person was killed.
It happened around 10am Saturday.
Texas Department of Public Safety troopers said 48-year-old Alicia Margarita Aguilar was driving a 2008 Nissan Xterra north on Highway 99.
Lynn Brock, 37, was driving a GMC SUV. She was at the traffic light facing west on Harlem when her light turned green and she proceeded to enter the intersection, officials said.
According to DPS, Aguilar ran the red light. Brock could not see her coming because the view was obstructed by a dump truck, investigators said.
Brock's SUV slammed into the Nissan at the right back end, causing it to spin to the right, hit the curb and then roll four times.
Brock and her passenger -- a 63-year-old Richmond man -- were each wearing seatbelts. Neither was injured.
Aguilar was wearing a seatbelt and was uninjured.
Aguilar's sister -- Carmen Trevino -- was not wearing a seatbelt. She was ejected and died at the scene, officials said.
Trevino, 46, was visiting Fort Bend County from Coahuila, Mexico for her sister's birthday, according to the sister's neighbor.
Five other passengers -- ages 12, 13, 16, 18 and 74 -- were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 14 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 35 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends! 18 min ago
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared