Katie Couric in Houston to receive MD Anderson award
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Award-winning journalist Katie Couric is here in Houston Tuesday for a very important cause. She's speaking at a benefit for MD Anderson, along with CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Couric is a public figure with a very personal fight and Eyewitness News got to talk with her about it.
Since losing her husband, Jay, to colorectal cancer 13 years ago, Couric has been on a personal mission to end the disease.
"I saw an incredible opportunity for me to make people more aware and to change behavior and hopefully save lives. That's what I've been focused on ever since my husband passed away," Couric said.
In Houston to accept MD Anderson's Making Cancer History award, the 54-year-old mother of two is credited with raising awareness after her on-air colonoscopy in 2000.
"There is something called the 'Couric Effect' that was found by researchers at the University of Michigan -- there was a 20 percent increase in colonoscopy screenings after I embarked on this cause. I call it the Jay Monahan Effect,' not the Couric Effect," Couric told us.
But though she's proud of what she has accomplished, Couric said there's still a lot of work for her to do.
"It will never replace having a husband or a father for our two daughters, but at least I feel I'm doing something, and I'm sparing other families the pain we had to endure," said Couric.
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cancer killer in this country, and yet it is highly preventable with regular screenings. We were particularly excited to meet Couric because she's a new member of the ABC family -- She'll launch a new syndicated talk show next fall.
We spoke with Couric about that big project and how she started her career at ABC years ago; we'll have that part of the interview for you Wednesday afternoon on Eyewitness News.
local, ilona carson
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations 21 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished 44 min ago
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea says Kim's uncle removed from power 20 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 34 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- David Tillman's weather forecast
10 min ago
- Million Dog March protest held in Georgia
59 min ago