Former Katy PTA treasurer charged with forgery
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- A former PTA treasurer at an elementary school in the Katy ISD is charged after investigators say she forged checks worth thousands of dollars.
Anina Ann Porter, 42, of Houston is charged with forgery. According to court documents, Porter, who is the treasurer of Schmalz Elementary PTA, forged signatures of the PTA's president and vice president while writing checks to herself.
Investigators say they were able to identify 40 checks totaling more than $10,000.
According to court documents, the PTA members confronted Porter, who said she was using the money to pay for medicine for her ill mother, and that she'll pay the money back.
Bail in the case has been set at $2,000.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail