Baytown woman featured pies on GMA
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A businesswoman from Houston is in New York City to showcase one of her famous pies on Good Morning America.
It was last year when the 'Pie Lady' of Baytown had an epiphany. Or perhaps we should say - an eh-pie-phany.
"I heard the president say that his favorite pie was sweet potato and pecan," recalled Helen Smith, aka the Baytown Pie Lady. "And so I thought, I'm going to make the president a special pie."
Sweet potato and pecan, combined into one pie and topped with whipped cream -- it was a pie lover's dream.
She said, "Sweet potato on the bottom and pecan pie on top. And it's wonderful."
That presidential sweet potato and pecan combo took the Pie Lady from her kitchen in southeast Texas all the way to the bright lights of New York City as a finalist on Good Morning America's "Pie of Emeril's Eye" contest.
The presidential sweet potato-pecan was up against some tough competition.
"Drunken apple pie," Robert Obst, another finalist, named his creation. " You can't get any more American than apple pie, Jack Daniels and family traditions."
The winner was a custard caramel pie out of Albuquerque. But Baytown's pie still stands as one of the nation's best.
"One man who had a piece said it's a life changing experience. Life changing!"
And it's got Emeril Lagasse's stamp of approval too.
baytown, good morning america, local, adela uchida
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 39 min ago
- Arctic cold front blows in
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?