Man dies in custody in jail cell near downtown Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are investigating the apparent suicide of a man while in custody in a jail cell near downtown.
Police say Robert Gomez, 30, was arrested for public intoxication at around 6pm on November 19 and, due to his combativeness at the scene and in a patrol vehicle, he was booked into the HPD Central Jail at 61 Riesner Street. Gomez was medically screened and cleared by jail medical personnel.
Once in custody, Gomez was then placed in an individual cell, in view of other prisoners. Shortly after jail personnel checked on Gomez, he removed his T-shirts and hung himself from his cell's bars.
Jail personnel were notified and provided first aid, but paramedics pronounced Gomez deceased.
An autopsy by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences will determine his cause of death.
Police say the incident is being investigated as an in-custody death since it occurred in the presence of HPD personnel. As is customary in such cases, the incident is being investigated by the HPD Homicide and Internal Affairs Divisions.
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 26 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 27 min ago
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 20 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns