Woman charged in unusual hit-and-run accident
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching for a woman charged in a hit and run that happened outside of a local high school in mid-October. What's particularly strange about this case is what the woman is accused of doing after hitting the student.
It happened at an intersection where kids cross everyday -- an extremely busy intersection. While Houston police are looking for the woman who allegedly hit a 15-year-old boy and drove off, it's what the driver did before she left the scene that has everyone scratching their heads.
According to court documents, a League City address is listed for Aida Hillen, But no one at the home would comment to Eyewitness News, only to say Hillen wasn't inside. The 59-year-old woman is charged with felony failure to stop and render aid. So far, Houston police say they haven't been able to find her either.
According to Houston police, Hillen was driving a car when she allegedly struck the right side of 15-year-old Jonah Garcia. It happened one night in October at about 7pm. Garcia was crossing Broadway from Milby High School and fell down in the street near the curb.
What police say happened next is disturbing. According to court documents, Hillen stopped and asked if Garcia was all right. He answered no, but Hillen allegedly tossed a Christian booklet out of her window and drove off.
Authorities say Garcia suffered bruised ribs, but is otherwise OK. Kids cross this part of Broadway every day before and after school. Milby High School student Cesar Salas, 18, says he almost got hit last month trying to cross.
"There was an 18-wheeler over there," he recalled. "I assumed there was a red light but I couldn't see. I took a step and he started honking and I stepped back. That's when I almost got hit."
Milby High School student Cassandra Perez, 18, says she wasn't surprised to learn about the accident.
"By the way they be driving here, no. They be driving really fast," Perez said.
Authorities say they are looking for Aida Hillen, 59, who was last seen driving a 1996 Honda Accord with Texas plates 012-RTH. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS. Your call can remain anonymous.
local, cynthia cisneros
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 55 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail