Woman charged in unusual hit-and-run accident
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police are searching for a woman charged in a hit and run that happened outside of a local high school in mid-October. What's particularly strange about this case is what the woman is accused of doing after hitting the student.
It happened at an intersection where kids cross everyday -- an extremely busy intersection. While Houston police are looking for the woman who allegedly hit a 15-year-old boy and drove off, it's what the driver did before she left the scene that has everyone scratching their heads.
According to court documents, a League City address is listed for Aida Hillen, But no one at the home would comment to Eyewitness News, only to say Hillen wasn't inside. The 59-year-old woman is charged with felony failure to stop and render aid. So far, Houston police say they haven't been able to find her either.
According to Houston police, Hillen was driving a car when she allegedly struck the right side of 15-year-old Jonah Garcia. It happened one night in October at about 7pm. Garcia was crossing Broadway from Milby High School and fell down in the street near the curb.
What police say happened next is disturbing. According to court documents, Hillen stopped and asked if Garcia was all right. He answered no, but Hillen allegedly tossed a Christian booklet out of her window and drove off.
Authorities say Garcia suffered bruised ribs, but is otherwise OK. Kids cross this part of Broadway every day before and after school. Milby High School student Cesar Salas, 18, says he almost got hit last month trying to cross.
"There was an 18-wheeler over there," he recalled. "I assumed there was a red light but I couldn't see. I took a step and he started honking and I stepped back. That's when I almost got hit."
Milby High School student Cassandra Perez, 18, says she wasn't surprised to learn about the accident.
"By the way they be driving here, no. They be driving really fast," Perez said.
Authorities say they are looking for Aida Hillen, 59, who was last seen driving a 1996 Honda Accord with Texas plates 012-RTH. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS. Your call can remain anonymous.
local, cynthia cisneros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Nice weather for Easter!
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck