Routine traffic stop turns into wild chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There was a wild off-road police chase that went from downtown Houston to Humble overnight.
Houston police say it all started around 1am as a routine traffic stop downtown. Authorities say when the suspect, who had a female passenger in the car with him, noticed an officer had spotted drugs in his vehicle, he shoved the officer to the ground and sped off, driving on side streets along the Eastex Freeway.
Police say at some point during the chase, he slowed down and the female jumped out of the car. Houston police say he kept driving, eventually going off road and then down railroad tracks for about a half a mile.
Five police cars tried to follow him, but got stuck on the tracks. Authorities say the suspect then bailed out if his car and hid along Reinhardt Bayou. He was eventually caught by a police dog.
The suspect faces a list of felony charges, including assault on a police officer and evading arrest. More charges could be on the way as the female claims she was not the suspect's girlfriend, but was taken and held captive.
humble, local, samica knight
- Do you know this fake cop rapist? 34 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink 47 min ago
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket 19 min ago
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion 30 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations