Challengers win 2 seats in Houston runoff elections
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A big change is on the way to Houston's city council.
Voters went back to the polls Saturday to decide four different races that went to runoff elections.
There was a big political upset in two districts where incumbents lost.
Starting with the District A race, incumbent Brenda Stardig fought to keep her seat against challenger Helena Brown, but Brown will be the new District A council member. She won the runoff with 55 percent of the vote while Stardig only received 45 percent.
Another incumbent in a tough runoff race was At-Large 5 incumbent Jolanda Jones who went against the same person she faced two years ago for her seat -- chiropractor Jack Christie.
Christie unseated Jones with 54 percent of the vote to Jones' 46 percent.
Stardig and Jones are the second and third incumbents to lose an election since term limits were imposed.
The race for outgoing member Sue Lovell's At-Large 2 seat has been whittled down from 10 candidates to two -- Pastor Andrew Burks and former state representative Kristi Thibaut. But it hasn't been decided which one will take the seat.
Just over 200 votes separate Burks and Thibaut. A recount is expected.
It's an even closer race in District B, where the candidates are trying to replace term-limited councilman Jarvis Johnson.
Nonprofit director Jerry Davis leads Johnson's aide Alvin Byrd by only 98 votes. A recount is likely.
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 10 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 6 min ago
- HISD to decide fate of 2 schools at risk of closure 1 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham 21 min ago
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns 30 min ago
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co. 1 min ago
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Cops: 2 OD on heroin as kids play at McDonald's
- First-time attendees in awe of rodeo
27 min ago