Challengers win 2 seats in Houston runoff elections
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A big change is on the way to Houston's city council.
Voters went back to the polls Saturday to decide four different races that went to runoff elections.
There was a big political upset in two districts where incumbents lost.
Starting with the District A race, incumbent Brenda Stardig fought to keep her seat against challenger Helena Brown, but Brown will be the new District A council member. She won the runoff with 55 percent of the vote while Stardig only received 45 percent.
Another incumbent in a tough runoff race was At-Large 5 incumbent Jolanda Jones who went against the same person she faced two years ago for her seat -- chiropractor Jack Christie.
Christie unseated Jones with 54 percent of the vote to Jones' 46 percent.
Stardig and Jones are the second and third incumbents to lose an election since term limits were imposed.
The race for outgoing member Sue Lovell's At-Large 2 seat has been whittled down from 10 candidates to two -- Pastor Andrew Burks and former state representative Kristi Thibaut. But it hasn't been decided which one will take the seat.
Just over 200 votes separate Burks and Thibaut. A recount is expected.
It's an even closer race in District B, where the candidates are trying to replace term-limited councilman Jarvis Johnson.
Nonprofit director Jerry Davis leads Johnson's aide Alvin Byrd by only 98 votes. A recount is likely.
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 32 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 3 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 14 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 45 min ago
- Students charged after dog forced to drink beer 41 min ago
- California pushes to finish driverless car rules 37 min ago
- AP source: Justice department probing GM recall 29 min ago