Boy battling cancer gets surprise before Christmas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A little boy in Spring battling a deadly disease is smiling after his wish became reality. He didn't ask for anything wild or extravagant, just a bed and some cars on his wall. Now, a mother is offering a lot of thanks to the strangers who made her son's dream come true.
Maria De Los Angeles Ruiz Ojeda says her son, Oscar, wants a lot of cars in his room. On Tuesday, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Broyhill Furniture and Gallery Furniture did just that.
They re-did Oscar's room and put up construction machines and cars and gave him a new bed and chair. The team finished just in time to surprise little Oscar. He is very shy and slowly takes in all the new changes to his room.
"Oscar told us he wanted a new room and that he loves construction and toys and he also likes super heroes. So that's what we wanted to give him for his room when he told us he wanted his room made over," said Nikki Eliason with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
"I liked it," Oscar said.
Oscar's mother says her son is responding to treatment. He has spent a lot of time at home due to his illness and wanted a special place for himself.
"Kids with conditions such as Oscar, they spend a lot of time in their room. So to give 'em some place to kind of sanctuary for 'em where they spend a lot of that time is really important," Broyhill Furniture President Mark Stephens said.
Broyhill Furniture says they have done about 50 of these makeovers across the country.
Oscar's mom became very emotional when speaking about her son's battle with leukemia. The mother says her family is poor and never thought she could make her son's wishes come true.
Maria says she hopes that everyone who helped in this project will receive many blessings in their lives.
Maria said her son wants to tell Santa Claus that he does not want many gifts, but instead will ask that he never has to go back to the hospital.
christmas, local, melanie lawson
- Severe weather possible across Houston area
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 56 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush 44 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?