Veteran battling cancer gets Christmas surprise
MANVEL, TX (KTRK) -- Thousands of military families are now adjusting to life after war, but one family in Manvel is having to deal with much more than the average military family, but their lives just got a little easier, thanks to the kindness of strangers.
Outside a home in Manvel, you could say Santa's helpers are getting ready to deliver gifts to a family enduring hard times.
More than a dozen people lined up at the front door and together surprised the Edwards family. The Edwards family received devastating news in July.
I'm like, 'Look, what did you see in my scans?' And the first thing that came out of his mouth was Stage 4 cancer. And I'll tell you, that was just wow," 30-year-old Russel Edwards said.
Russel Edwards is in the Navy and has a tour in Iraq under his belt. He, his wife and four kids with another on the way, were stationed in Mississippi and commuting to the Houston Medical Center for treatment every two weeks, either driving or flying. They eventually had to relocate to the Houston area to be closer to the med center, but the bills have drained their accounts.
But after hearing their story Southwest Airline employee Christine Moore decided to recruit colleagues and adopt the Edwards for Christmas.
"You guys touched us big time. It was personal. We really appreciate you letting us come into your life this Christmas," Moore told the Edwards.
The family, with money being tight, wasn't going to celebrate Christmas until January 5.
Now it's back on track.
"It feels wonderful because you go from meeting people, strangers and to see that they care, it's just overwhelming," said Russel's wife, Roxanne Edwards.
"It's good I mean. I feel happy that people care that much to come see. It's hard otherwise," Russell Edwards added.
And with presents under the tree and new friends, this is sure to be a Christmas to remember in the Edwards home.
The Edwards family will continue living here until Russel completes his chemotherapy.
christmas, local, erik barajas
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 56 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans 10 min ago
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero 10 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 48 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Travis Herzog's Thursday forecast
15 min ago
- Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
10 min ago
- JJ Watt now a superhero
10 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos