Family makes plea to find man's killer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The family of a man gunned down during a robbery at an apartment complex on Houston's south side is making a plea to the public.
The victim was just 22 years old and his family is asking for your help in finding those responsible.
That murder happened Sunday at the Catalina Village Apartments in the 3500 block of Dixie Drive.
The victim's family joined police at a news conference Tuesday morning. This family is absolutely crushed as you can imagine. The victim's parents walked into the HPD briefing room, saw his photograph and just started bawling.
Their 22-year-old son, Hao Huynh, was robbed and killed in the early hours of Sunday morning. Police say Huynh had just returned to his apartment from a sorority party in the Bellaire area when the suspect confronted him in the parking lot, shot him twice, and took off with two bags he was carrying.
Huynh was a Biology major at the University of Houston. We spoke with his younger sister who is begging anyone who knows her brother's murderer to turn him in.
"This makes it real; it happens to people who don't really deserve it," said Huynh's sister.
The key evidence police have to go off of are sorority pillows that were in one of the gift bags Huynh was carrying. They have Greek letters on them and the red pillow has the name "Kathy" on it. There were only 11 of these pillows handed out at the sorority party and the other 10 have been accounted for.
The other bag the suspect got away with was Huynh's backpack, described as black and purple, and which contained some of Huynh's clothes. And police describe his wallet as similar to a Louis Vuitton wallet, but with a Mickey Mouse on it.
The suspect is described only as a black male in his late 20s or early 30s with a medium build and armed with a semi-automatic pistol. He's believed to have fled in a white Chevrolet Malibu or Impala, possibly with custom rims or mag wheels. Video of the suspect vehicle can be viewed here.
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect(s) in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
local, sonia azad
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 58 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years