Memorial held for Katy teen killed in wreck
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- Mourners filled a Katy church Friday morning to say a final goodbye to a young man whose life was cut way too short. The star basketball player at Cinco Ranch High School was killed in a car accident earlier this week.
The mood was very somber as family, friends and classmates of 16-year-old Christopher Saiz came to Second Baptist Church to pay their final respects.
"I know that this room is filled with a lot of questions," Pastor Keith Carmichael said.
Saiz, a star basketball player for Cinco Ranch, was killed in car accident Wednesday on Mason Road when the car he was riding in lost control. The 17-year-old driver and a teammate of Saiz survived the wreck. Saiz was apparently not wearing his seat belt when he was killed.
"He touched all of us and helped make us better individuals," Cinco Ranch High School coach Neil King said.
The death of this popular high school junior and star athlete drew hundreds of people to Second Baptist Church for the memorial service. So many people we talked to have so many fond memories of Saiz.
"I used to play basketball so I would basically go to all the games just to watch him play. And we would scrimmage the boys so I would always see him play. He was just a really, really good person. He was so sweet, always had a smile on his face and every time I saw him in the hallway he would always give me a compliment, like being really nice," said Adriana Perez. "He had so much going for him. It's just upsetting."
Saiz's birthday is December 26, one day after Christmas. The Cinco Ranch Cougars are scheduled to play their next game on December 27 at Manvel and it will no doubt be a very difficult time for the team.
"I think the world in the future has lost a great, great human being," said a classmate, Kin Lane.
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home