Memorial held for Katy teen killed in wreck
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- Mourners filled a Katy church Friday morning to say a final goodbye to a young man whose life was cut way too short. The star basketball player at Cinco Ranch High School was killed in a car accident earlier this week.
The mood was very somber as family, friends and classmates of 16-year-old Christopher Saiz came to Second Baptist Church to pay their final respects.
"I know that this room is filled with a lot of questions," Pastor Keith Carmichael said.
Saiz, a star basketball player for Cinco Ranch, was killed in car accident Wednesday on Mason Road when the car he was riding in lost control. The 17-year-old driver and a teammate of Saiz survived the wreck. Saiz was apparently not wearing his seat belt when he was killed.
"He touched all of us and helped make us better individuals," Cinco Ranch High School coach Neil King said.
The death of this popular high school junior and star athlete drew hundreds of people to Second Baptist Church for the memorial service. So many people we talked to have so many fond memories of Saiz.
"I used to play basketball so I would basically go to all the games just to watch him play. And we would scrimmage the boys so I would always see him play. He was just a really, really good person. He was so sweet, always had a smile on his face and every time I saw him in the hallway he would always give me a compliment, like being really nice," said Adriana Perez. "He had so much going for him. It's just upsetting."
Saiz's birthday is December 26, one day after Christmas. The Cinco Ranch Cougars are scheduled to play their next game on December 27 at Manvel and it will no doubt be a very difficult time for the team.
"I think the world in the future has lost a great, great human being," said a classmate, Kin Lane.
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Residents on edge over string of suspicious fires
- Houston bus company owner faces charges from 2008 crash
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Local burger's name catches national chain's attention
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico
- Thieves steal bundles of metal rods from Magnolia store
- North Forest ISD files new request to stop annexation
- Equipment theft threatens Texas Equusearch's existence
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos