Couple shot while confronting car burglar
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Two League City residents are recovering after they were shot confronting a car burglar. Right now, the shooter is on the loose.
The attack happened around 5:15am Monday on Meade Court in the Ellis Landing subdivision.
The 41-year-old husband was shot in the chest at close range. He remains in the hospital in critical, but stable condition. We're told his 36-year-old wife is by his side, nursing a leg wound of her own. Both were shot just feet from the front door of their home.
"It's still very emotional," neighbor Pat Wayhan said.
It was certainly not how Wayhan expected to wake up the day after Christmas.
"I could hear my neighbor just screaming, 'Help me, help me, please somebody help me,'" Wayhan said.
But there were gunshots first, just seconds after her two neighbors -- a husband and wife -- interrupted a burglar in the act.
"It's surreal is all I can say. It's just something that you would never think would happen in League City," Wayhan said.
League City police say the wife saw a man breaking into her husband's truck. He followed her outside to do something about it and that's when the burglar turned violent.
"She told me the last thing she remembered was hearing a pow, another pow and realized her husband had been shot," League City Sgt. Tamara Spencer said.
And it would take the wife a few more minutes to realize she was injured too.
"Until she went 'ow,' we had no clue that she had even been hit," Wayhan said.
"Her main focus was take care of my husband," Sgt. Spencer said.
The shooter took off in what the wife described as a black two-door sports car with a loud muffler. Police have a similar car description from another burglary Monday morning and believe the same person may be responsible for as many as three others. There were no confrontations during those, and Sgt. Spencer says that's the best advice.
"You never know what they're going to do," Sgt. Spencer said.
Neighbors say the couple has five children between them. They were all inside asleep when their parents were shot.
The suspect is described as a white male in his late 20s, about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs around 170 pounds. He was wearing a dark-hooded sweatshirt. The car he was driving is believed to be a late 90's or early 2000s model.
Anyone with information regarding the suspect's identity is asked to contact the League City Police Department at 281-554-1802.
league city, local, jessica willey
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 41 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 3 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 17 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- David Tillman's weather forecast
25 min ago