Couple shot while confronting car burglar
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Two League City residents are recovering after they were shot confronting a car burglar. Right now, the shooter is on the loose.
The attack happened around 5:15am Monday on Meade Court in the Ellis Landing subdivision.
The 41-year-old husband was shot in the chest at close range. He remains in the hospital in critical, but stable condition. We're told his 36-year-old wife is by his side, nursing a leg wound of her own. Both were shot just feet from the front door of their home.
"It's still very emotional," neighbor Pat Wayhan said.
It was certainly not how Wayhan expected to wake up the day after Christmas.
"I could hear my neighbor just screaming, 'Help me, help me, please somebody help me,'" Wayhan said.
But there were gunshots first, just seconds after her two neighbors -- a husband and wife -- interrupted a burglar in the act.
"It's surreal is all I can say. It's just something that you would never think would happen in League City," Wayhan said.
League City police say the wife saw a man breaking into her husband's truck. He followed her outside to do something about it and that's when the burglar turned violent.
"She told me the last thing she remembered was hearing a pow, another pow and realized her husband had been shot," League City Sgt. Tamara Spencer said.
And it would take the wife a few more minutes to realize she was injured too.
"Until she went 'ow,' we had no clue that she had even been hit," Wayhan said.
"Her main focus was take care of my husband," Sgt. Spencer said.
The shooter took off in what the wife described as a black two-door sports car with a loud muffler. Police have a similar car description from another burglary Monday morning and believe the same person may be responsible for as many as three others. There were no confrontations during those, and Sgt. Spencer says that's the best advice.
"You never know what they're going to do," Sgt. Spencer said.
Neighbors say the couple has five children between them. They were all inside asleep when their parents were shot.
The suspect is described as a white male in his late 20s, about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs around 170 pounds. He was wearing a dark-hooded sweatshirt. The car he was driving is believed to be a late 90's or early 2000s model.
Anyone with information regarding the suspect's identity is asked to contact the League City Police Department at 281-554-1802.
league city, local, jessica willey
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 49 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother 14 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 1 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today 28 min ago
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools 27 min ago
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- The storm that wouldn't end 52 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston