Radio personality runs 62 miles each day for a week
STAFFORD, TX (KTRK) -- A Houston radio personality has dropped his microphone and picked up his running shoes. Kevin Kline is planning to run more than 60 miles a day, for an entire week, in an effort to help fight pediatric cancer.
Kevin Kline has run, and run, and run, always for a reason, but never quite like this. Extreme runners are used to pushing the envelope, but this is a big one even by their standards. Kline is running 62 miles a day for seven straight days, all at the Stafford Centre.
"The ultimate goal is to bring awareness to the lack of funding for pediatric cancer," Kline explained.
Kline and his wife run the Snowdrop Foundation, dedicated to raising research money and scholarships for pediatric cancer patients. In the past six years, he's completed a variety of distance running feats, always with young cancer survivors in mind.
"I've been surprised by everything he's done," said cancer survivor George Bember. "It's crazy how he just keeps running and running and running."
It may seem monotonous to run laps around the Stafford Centre, but that's the point, to simulate the experience that cancer patients go through in their daily chemotherapy rituals.
"This is to symbolically show what the children have to go through, through their chemotherapy," Kline said. "There is nothing comfortable about this; they actually experience pain. I just experience degrees of discomfort."
Kline began this pursuit after meeting 15-year-old cancer patient Chelsey Campbell several years ago. Now he is often joined on his runs by cancer survivors, families, and fans eager to see him complete 62 miles a day for seven straight days.
Kline's coach Tim Necker said, "You see survivors, you see kids in process of chemo out here, so it's really motivating."
Kline plans to finish his seven day stretch of 62 miles a day by January 1.
stafford, local, miya shay
- weather: Rain showers popping up across SE Texas
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder 44 min ago
- Overturned tanker truck causing traffic nightmare 58 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman 34 min ago
- Gay pride parade's new condom policy draws criticism
- Houston man sentenced for operating bogus ambulance companies
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Diving great Greg Louganis to marry in fall
- Woodlands woman accused of setting fire to boyfriend's home
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7 million older model Jeeps
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: Brain-eating amoeba warning in Florida
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
- Video: Good Samaritan stabbed by own sword
- Ex-Rice U football player improving after...
4 min ago