HPD investigating officer-involved shooting
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An off-duty officer shot at a suspect outside a nightclub in southeast Houston overnight.
It happened around 2am outside the El Portal nightclub on Lawndale and Evergreen. Apparently there was some kind of disturbance inside the club and a man had been asked to leave.
Authorities say that's when the man's girlfriend came out and found a uniformed HPD officer who was working security in the parking lot. The woman exchanged words with the officer, at which point her boyfriend came out and police say he tried to take a swing at the officer.
Police say the couple then went to their vehicle and it appeared the man got a gun and loaded it. The couple then started to drive away and authorities say the man pointed the gun at the HPD officer.
According to authorities, the HPD officer was in fear for his life and he started shooting at the suspect.
No one was hit by the flying bullets.
The suspect and his girlfriend drove out of the parking lot and a short time later came back to the scene. Police were eventually able to pull the vehicle over and took two suspects into custody.
No charges have been filed as of yet.
Authorities say they did find a loaded weapon inside the suspect's vehicle.
local, jeff ehling
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape 18 min ago
- Hail storm moved quickly across viewing area 31 min ago
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo 23 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast