Tornado damages Mall of Mainland
iWitness: Viewer video from Cinco Ranch
iWitness: Viewer video from 610 at Fannin
iWitness: Viewer video from Seven Meadows
raw video: Flooding in West University area
raw video: Heavy rain, lightning in downtown Houston
raw video: Heavy rain comes down in SW Houston
raw video: Lightning in Deer Park
TEXAS CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A tornado moving through the Texas City area damaged the Mall of the Mainland, forcing an evacuation there yesterday.
Bruce Clawson with the Texas City Office of Emergency Management says the National Weather Service alerted them about a tornado on radar at about 1pm. At the same time, a Texas City police officer saw a tornado hit the east side of the mall, near the movie theater.
"We were all huddled down in a certain area in the store. They told us to stay still because that was away from the windows," said shopper Mable Pratt, who was inside Macy's at the time.
She stayed in that position about 30 minutes, not knowing exactly what eyewitnesses were seeing outside.
The roof of mall suffered a partial collapse and nearly every vehicle on the south side of the mall along FM 1774 had its windows blown out.
"I was a little scared yes. Having a little fright there," witness Nicole Brausen said.
Around 100 shoppers were inside the mall when the storm passed through. Portions of the mall roof collapsed and water filled the floor.
"We've got a structural wall here, a load bearing wall that's about to collapse. We'll have to have that torn down in order to make it safe for people to go back in there," Texas City Fire Marshal Dennis Harris said.
The mall will remain closed today as teams finish assessing the damage.
texas city, local
- HPD: Fight between roommates ends in shooting 49 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight 50 min ago
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year 45 min ago
- Video from violent fast food robbery released 14 min ago
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot 5 min ago
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man 41 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident 20 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay
- Female libido drug remains in limbo
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa
- David Tillman's midday weather forecast
10 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos