Mom, son fatally struck by suspected drunk driver on side of Katy Freeway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman and her 12-year-old son were killed when their broken down car was struck by a suspected drunk driver overnight.
Katherine Addison, 48, and her son Kendall Addison Jr., had pulled to the side of I-10 just west of Brookshire after getting a flat tire. As the mother tried to fix the tire, police say a pickup truck slammed into their car, causing it to burst into flames.
On Thursday evening, a candlelight vigil was held in Rosenberg for the mother and son. Kendall was a star player on a youth football team named The Saints and led them to a championship. His teammates and friends are taking his death very hard and remembered him for protecting smaller kids from bullies.
"He'd always be nice, 'cause I wasn't really that big and everyone would be mean to me. He'd always stick up for me," his friend Ryan Moreno said.
"I like that he never put anybody else down, like he would stick up for anybody like even if they didn't like him," his friend Jack Fuentes said.
The driver of the pickup, Taylor McShan, is charged with two counts of intoxication manslaughter. A Katy police officer, Cody Parchman, was in the pickup's passenger seat. No word yet if he will face any criminal charges.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale