Mom, son fatally struck by suspected drunk driver on side of Katy Freeway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman and her 12-year-old son were killed when their broken down car was struck by a suspected drunk driver overnight.
Katherine Addison, 48, and her son Kendall Addison Jr., had pulled to the side of I-10 just west of Brookshire after getting a flat tire. As the mother tried to fix the tire, police say a pickup truck slammed into their car, causing it to burst into flames.
On Thursday evening, a candlelight vigil was held in Rosenberg for the mother and son. Kendall was a star player on a youth football team named The Saints and led them to a championship. His teammates and friends are taking his death very hard and remembered him for protecting smaller kids from bullies.
"He'd always be nice, 'cause I wasn't really that big and everyone would be mean to me. He'd always stick up for me," his friend Ryan Moreno said.
"I like that he never put anybody else down, like he would stick up for anybody like even if they didn't like him," his friend Jack Fuentes said.
The driver of the pickup, Taylor McShan, is charged with two counts of intoxication manslaughter. A Katy police officer, Cody Parchman, was in the pickup's passenger seat. No word yet if he will face any criminal charges.
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 9 min ago
- Severe weather clears Houston 26 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 2 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?