Abandoned cat freezes to death in Mariposa County
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- Below freezing temperatures are blamed for the death of an abandoned cat in Mariposa County.
A 10-year-old girl found the animal Wednesday morning outside a home grooming shop in Bootjack.
The shop owner says it was left in a cat carrier inside a cardboard box that was covered with a rug.
Someone also left $20.00 and a note explaining why they could no longer care for the aging family pet.
The Mariposa County Sheriff says his department has seen an increase in abandoned animal cases. Someone recently dumped five puppies outside the local SPCA.
"To me it's like dumping your children," said Jeanette Lozano, shelter manager. "And they need to call the sheriff's department or just keep them until the morning until you can find help."
One of the puppies had to be put down because of a heart problem. But the other four are up for adoption.
Watch the video for complete coverage from Action News reporter Sara Sandrik.
animal, mariposa county, bootjack, mariposa, local, sara sandrik
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat