Abandoned cat freezes to death in Mariposa County
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- Below freezing temperatures are blamed for the death of an abandoned cat in Mariposa County.
A 10-year-old girl found the animal Wednesday morning outside a home grooming shop in Bootjack.
The shop owner says it was left in a cat carrier inside a cardboard box that was covered with a rug.
Someone also left $20.00 and a note explaining why they could no longer care for the aging family pet.
The Mariposa County Sheriff says his department has seen an increase in abandoned animal cases. Someone recently dumped five puppies outside the local SPCA.
"To me it's like dumping your children," said Jeanette Lozano, shelter manager. "And they need to call the sheriff's department or just keep them until the morning until you can find help."
One of the puppies had to be put down because of a heart problem. But the other four are up for adoption.
Watch the video for complete coverage from Action News reporter Sara Sandrik.
animal, mariposa county, bootjack, mariposa, local, sara sandrik
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 49 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 37 min ago
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 3 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 27 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Travis Herzog's Thursday weather forecast
12 min ago