Man detained in Montrose area doggie door burglaries no longer a suspect
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The video of a man trying to break into a Montrose home through the doggie door has gone viral and investigators came close to a break in the case on Friday.
It was just a day ago when images of a man breaking into a house through the doggie door hit the internet. Heights Life blogger Viula Torgerson posted it on her Facebook page and it immediately hit a nerve.
"I think this had the voyeuristic aspect, and people can see themselves, their own doggie door," Torgerson said.
On Friday morning, an alert Heights area mom saw a man similar to the images near the Fiesta on Studewood and called police.
"Today I was driving and I saw him, and I was thinking that's him turned around and called 911 and followed him," said Lori, who doesn't want her name last name used.
Lori followed the man until police arrived and arrested him. Nearby, David Jasso was watering his plants and he too noticed the man.
"I saw them on TV talking about the doggie door and when I saw him passing by through here, I said, 'Well, that sure looks like him,'" said resident David Jasso.
For several hours, it appeared like the doggie door burglar may have been caught.
But late Friday afternoon came a letdown. Police investigators who questioned the suspect have determined that he's no longer a suspect in the doggie door burglary.
Houston police would not comment on whether the man arrested may be wanted for other crimes, though they do say the man seen in the surveillance images is still on the loose. So alert moms like Torgerson, will still need to keep an eye out.
"It doesn't matter if you're in Montrose, or Heights, we're all in this together," said Torgerson.
montrose, heights, local, miya shay
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Help the TSU band get to Canton with Michael Strahan
- Houston's cardinal to attend pope's...
34 min ago