Federal disaster loans available for those affected by storms
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A federal outreach center opened Wednesday to help Houston area residents who need financial help following last month's big flood.
The center, which originally opened at the City of Houston's Department of Health and Human Services at 800 North Stadium Drive, will relocate today 2 to the Sunnyside Multi-Service Center at 4605 Wilmington. They're ready to make loans to residents and business owners recovering from the severe storms on January 9.
The storms on that day in January brought tornadoes, flooding in the streets and in apartments and businesses, as well as wind damage as it rolled through our area.
The SBA is offering low interest loans in Harris, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller counties.
If you are a business, property owner, or even renter -- uninsured or underinsured -- you could qualify for loans to replace personal property or real estate damaged that day.
"We have folks that could have been at the bottom level at one of the apartments that were flooded and have lost everything; they've lost their financial documents, they don't have anything anymore. And you have folks that might have had some roof damage from the storm and are looking for assistance that way," said Ben Raju with the SBA.
You can apply in person or online. You can learn more about the low interest loans at Disasterloan.sba.gov..
local, elissa rivas
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash 1 min ago
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured... 29 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever