Thieves target pricey equipment on boats
KEMAH, TX (KTRK) -- A rash of thefts on the water -- boat owners are on alert and spreading the word about thieves targeting area marinas. One of the most recent marinas targeted was South Shore Harbour in Kemah.
Thieves are stealing electronic equipment on boats that can run into tens of thousands of dollars.
When Gary Kyle docked his boat last weekend he assumed it would be safe until his next adventure. But he was wrong.
"I noticed that the zipper was open, and that's the first thing I looked at then was the electronics," Kyle said. "There were big holes in the deck."
Thieves cut out Kyle's entire navigation system and severed the wiring. All together, repairing the damage will cost more than $15,000.
"They did take a fingerprint, so we'll see what happens," Kyle said.
Seabrook police and League City police are investigating a series of similar thefts.
Seabrook Police Captain Sean Wright said, "We've had about seven reports, hit two different marinas that we know of for sure."
Police say the stolen parts are being re-sold online, not locally, but to people across the US, and even overseas.
"Although they're small in size, they're expensive and easy to sell on an open market," Captain Wright said.
Kyle is having motion detectors and cameras installed now, and he's putting a steel plate cover on his electronics. He's hoping that's enough to keep his property intact in case thieves come back.
"They'll have to tear up the whole boat to get it now," he said.
kemah, seabrook, clear lake, league city, local, sonia azad
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home