Deputies: Boy, 3, killed by large driftwood log at Crystal Beach on Bolivar Peninsula
BOLIVAR PENINSULA, TX (KTRK) -- A young child from Anahuac was killed when he was struck by a log in Crystal beach on Thursday afternoon.
The accident happened shortly after 3:30pm when a 39-foot-log collided with the boy's family as they were walking on the beach near Monkhouse Road in Crystal Beach.
The teen brother and toddler were with their grandfather when a large driftwood log began rolling. LaShaun Lovejoy Huff, 3, was killed after the log rolled about four feet down the sand dune before striking him. The teen and grandfather both tried to stop the log from striking the little boy.
Investigators say the log is about 39 feet in length, three feet in diameter and weighs several hundred pounds. Rescue crews tried to save Huff using four-wheel-drive vehicles to push the log away but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deputies believe the log was at the top of a beach dune and the disturbance in the sand when the family walked by may have caused it to shift and then roll.
The toddler's teenage brother was also injured and transported to UTMB. Relatives were at the hospital with the teen but they did not want to talk about the accident.
The grandfather also received some minor injuries, but the teen brother was the only one transported.
bolivar, galveston, local, christine dobbyn
- Arctic cold front blows in 12 min ago
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight 16 min ago
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Testimony continues in baby death trial
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Can you say this tongue twister?
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!