Gas station damaged by suspected thieves
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are working to track down some would-be thieves who left behind a lot of damage but didn't take anything.
Managers arrived at the Citgo gas station on Airline near Berry around 4:30am and found a huge hole in front of the building. The huge hole is the spot where Houston police say criminals made an attempt at a bold smash-and-grab, crashing a pickup truck right through the front.
The store manager believes he knows what the suspects were after.
"The ATM and the safe," he said.
The suspected thieves barely missed the large ATM on the other side of the damaged wall.
"They targeted it," said the manager.
Instead the suspects crashed through a hallway and part of a bathroom, rupturing pipes and flooding the convenience store, apparently before making off with nothing at all.
"It look like somebody had abandoned it here," said a customer.
Police later found what's believed to be the suspects' stolen damaged pickup truck. It was ditched in the back parking lot of a Fiesta grocery store next door.
"It's got real bad damage to the rear-end," said the customer.
Meanwhile, store owners are left cleaning up what they believe is anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000 in damages as police try to track down the criminals.
There was no one was inside the store at the time of the crime. Police hope the surveillance video will help them track down those suspects.
local, samica knight
- Homeowner shoots intruder in NW Harris County
- HISD meet to discuss new budget proposal 59 min ago
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Bicyclist hit by SUV in Walmart parking lot in NW Harris Co.
- Uncle: Aaron Hernandez had connection to murder victim
- Four cars go up in flames at apartment complex parking lot 46 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Houston bus company owner faces charges from 2008 crash
- Stampede over Beckham injures 5 in Shanghai
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos