It's Mardi Gras time in Galveston!
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Mardi Gras Galveston is in full swing this weekend.
The party continued Sunday with two parades.
The Krewe of Barkus and Meoux took to the streets at 1pm. Before the parade, a pet costume contest decided the royal court of the krewe.
The children's parade started at 2pm with more decorated floats, plus children in costume.
On Saturday night, the 28th annual Knights of Momus parade was a hit despite the wet and chilly weather.
The Knights of Momus theme this year was South Beach. Many of the floats had a bird theme, including peacock, toucan and flamingo floats. In all, there were 22 floats and 16 marching bands involved.
The Knights of Momus is Galveston's oldest Mardi Gras krewe. The krewes are civic clubs that organize the parades.
The parades also draw those born on the island back to their hometown, including Pittsburgh Steelers player Casey Hampton, who was on a float Saturday night.
"It's always fun, especially coming back to Galveston and me and my family have a good time," Hampton said.
Hampton also mentioned the rush you get from throwing beads. Roughly 750,000 beads were thrown during Saturday night's celebration alone.
There were four other parades on Saturday, including the Krewe D'Esprit Rosaire Parade along the Seawall and the Z Krewe and the Houston Chronicle parade in downtown Galveston.
Friday night, former Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly were spotted at the 16th annual San Luis Salute, along with ABC-13's Bob Allen, Tom Koch, Wayne Dolcefino and Bob Slovak. The benefit raises funds for UTMB in Galveston.
If you have participated in Mardi Gras Galveston this year, we want you to join our coverage!
And it's not too late to make it down there. Mardi Gras runs through Fat Tuesday in Galveston. Go to www.mardigrasgalveston.com for the event schedule.
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 24 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 52 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290