Scammers targeting elderly women by phone
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- League City police have a reminder warning for residents, after a recent rash of telephone scams targeted women.
Police say on at least three separate instances within the past week, elderly females in League City were targeted in a telephone scam. According to the initial reports, a male subject calls the potential victim claiming to be their grandson. The individual posing as the grandson stated that he was on vacation in Trinidad, had been in an accident and needed $2,500 to $3,000 wired by Western Union immediately or he would be incarcerated.
None of the potential victims sent any money, however, police say several were planning to before family intervention.
league city, local
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women 11 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 32 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends! 15 min ago
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared