Scammers targeting elderly women by phone
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- League City police have a reminder warning for residents, after a recent rash of telephone scams targeted women.
Police say on at least three separate instances within the past week, elderly females in League City were targeted in a telephone scam. According to the initial reports, a male subject calls the potential victim claiming to be their grandson. The individual posing as the grandson stated that he was on vacation in Trinidad, had been in an accident and needed $2,500 to $3,000 wired by Western Union immediately or he would be incarcerated.
None of the potential victims sent any money, however, police say several were planning to before family intervention.
league city, local
- Mail carrier's vehicle found burned in San Jacinto Co
- Boy, 6, drowns in Fort Bend County pool
- Notice smoke and haze across the Houston area?
- Witnesses rescue woman from kidnapping attempt
- Some lost everything to North Texas tornadoes
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Pct. 6 Constable Trevino center of new investigation
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $600 million
- Houston Ship Channel signals healthy economy
- SWAT situation at Alief-area home ends without arrest
- Barry Manilow concert in The Woodlands postponed
- otrc: Emma Watson talks 'tramp stamp'
- abcnews: Pat Robertson tells cheater's wife 'He's a...
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos