Suspected drunk driver blamed for deadly wreck
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A driver survived one crash, only to be killed in a second one a few minutes later.
Police say a drunk driver is to blame for the deadly wreck overnight. It started when a car failed to yield the right of way while exiting a driveway on Highway 105 near Lake Conroe.
The car hit a white pickup, trapping the driver, 42-year-old Robert Scruggs, in his vehicle. Witnesses were trying to help Scruggs get out of his truck when the second crash happened.
"Approximately three to four minutes later, another driver was traveling eastbound on 105 and struck the rear of the white pickup truck, causing that driver to be ejected from the vehicle," Trooper Louis Niklas said.
Scruggs died at the scene. Kenneth Nichols, the driver of the second car to hit the pickup, was arrested for intoxication manslaughter.
- Severe weather possible across Houston area
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush 57 min ago
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach 41 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?