Suspected drunk driver blamed for deadly wreck
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A driver survived one crash, only to be killed in a second one a few minutes later.
Police say a drunk driver is to blame for the deadly wreck overnight. It started when a car failed to yield the right of way while exiting a driveway on Highway 105 near Lake Conroe.
The car hit a white pickup, trapping the driver, 42-year-old Robert Scruggs, in his vehicle. Witnesses were trying to help Scruggs get out of his truck when the second crash happened.
"Approximately three to four minutes later, another driver was traveling eastbound on 105 and struck the rear of the white pickup truck, causing that driver to be ejected from the vehicle," Trooper Louis Niklas said.
Scruggs died at the scene. Kenneth Nichols, the driver of the second car to hit the pickup, was arrested for intoxication manslaughter.
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident along Beltway feeder 55 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Moisture moves back with with rain chances rising