Suspected drunk driver blamed for deadly wreck
CONROE, TX (KTRK) -- A driver survived one crash, only to be killed in a second one a few minutes later.
Police say a drunk driver is to blame for the deadly wreck overnight. It started when a car failed to yield the right of way while exiting a driveway on Highway 105 near Lake Conroe.
The car hit a white pickup, trapping the driver, 42-year-old Robert Scruggs, in his vehicle. Witnesses were trying to help Scruggs get out of his truck when the second crash happened.
"Approximately three to four minutes later, another driver was traveling eastbound on 105 and struck the rear of the white pickup truck, causing that driver to be ejected from the vehicle," Trooper Louis Niklas said.
Scruggs died at the scene. Kenneth Nichols, the driver of the second car to hit the pickup, was arrested for intoxication manslaughter.
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 12 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom 58 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 4 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers 54 min ago
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Stacy Keibler marries boyfriend in Mexico
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first