5th grader suspended for alleged pellet gun shooting
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - February 28, 2012 -- The Philadelphia School District is sending a letter home to parents today informing them about a pellet gun shooting at an elementary school.
A fifth grader shot a boy in the leg at Whittier Elementary in North Philadelphia on Monday. The boy was not hurt by the plastic pellets.
Another student was allegedly threatened by the fifth grader and alerted a teacher.
Even thought the pellets are plastic, there is deep concern from parents in light of Monday's fatal shooting at an Ohio High school.
Natasha Weaver, a parent of a student at the school, tells Action News, "I want more actions taken so that this kind of incident doesn't have to happen because it could have been a real gun."
Another parent, Danielle Smith, says, "The kid probably had it in his book bag. And how would anybody know unless the child took it out? You know, unless somebody - another child seen it and didn't say anything before the incident happened. There's nothing really the school can do."
The suspected shooter has been suspended. The district has recommended the fifth grader be expelled from school.
A school district spokesman says he's unaware of any extra precautions being taken here or at other Philadelphia after the fatal shooting in Ohio. He said Philadelphia school officers and staff are already on the lookout for potentially dangerous situations.
school, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home