Three suspects with alleged Mexican drug cartel ties arrested for 2004 cold case murder
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- Baytown police have arrested three suspects allegedly tied to a Mexican drug cartel for a cold case homicide from 2004.
The murder happened on November 15, 2004 at around 5:30am when Baytown police officers responded to a man down call in the 2000 block of Georgia Street. When officers arrived on scene, they say they discovered 21-year-old Santiago Garcia deceased outside a residence near the roadway. It was found through investigation Garcia had received multiple gunshot wounds, causing his death.
Baytown police say after all investigative leads were concluded the case went cold, but was reopened for review in 2011. According to police, Arturo Chavez Jr., a subject in the investigation, was being investigated by the FBI and ATF for weapons violations.
Baytown detectives began working with the FBI, ATF and Houston Police Department to resolve this case. Witnesses were re-interviewed and police say a new suspect emerged, Daniel Torres Jr. Baytown police say Torres confessed to his involvement in the murder of Garcia.
Torres, 31, Chavez, 32, and Juan Carlos Magana, 29, are all charged with murder.
Baytown police say they discovered that all three subjects have active ties to the hyper-violent Zeta Drug Cartel, a Mexican drug trafficking organization, and have been operating throughout Texas, including Baytown and surrounding cities and counties.
Anyone who may have information on this or any other crime is asked to call the Baytown Police Department at 281-422-8371. You can also contact Crime Stoppers at 281-427-TIPS, submit anonymous tips online at the Baytown Police Department website, or text keyword BAYTOWN plus your tip to 274637 (CRIMES). Crime Stoppers pays cash and you will remain anonymous.
- Hwy 225 reopens following tanker accident 27 min ago
- Proposal to turn Astrodome into conference center 42 min ago
- Investigators want new probe of 1996 TWA crash 5 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico 57 min ago
- Dickinson police asking for help to find missing man
- Don't they like the way he looks?
- Cypress teen Danielle Bradbery wins 'The Voice'
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases
- Texas tops US in number of lost, stolen firearms
- Feds: Men tried to make X-ray weapon
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos