Houston firefighter's wife accused of trying to hire hitman
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A firefighter's wife is in jail, accused of a plot to try to kill her husband.
Brittany Martinez, 24, spent her second of perhaps many nights in jail. She's being held without bond and is scheduled to make her first district court appearance Thursday morning.
According to court records, Martinez started soliciting a friend back in January to kill her husband, who is a Houston firefighter. She told that friend there were problems in their marriage.
On at least two occasions, she stopped by the Casa Ole restaurant on Highway 6 near Little York -- where that friend works as a manager -- to give him cash, her husband's work schedule, a photo of him, and a description of his car.
Records say Martinez had told her friend she wanted the killing done soon, before her husband realized she had withdrawn any more money from their bank account.
On Sunday, the friend came forward to authorities with, among other evidence, a recorded phone call between himself and Martinez.
Martinez was arrested on Tuesday on a charge of solicitation of capital murder. In all, she had given her friend $1,000 to do the job, but promised as much as $1,000 more when it was all done.
local, jessica willey
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 9 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 48 min ago
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio 26 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 58 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today