Houston firefighter's wife accused of trying to hire hitman
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A firefighter's wife is in jail, accused of a plot to try to kill her husband.
Brittany Martinez, 24, spent her second of perhaps many nights in jail. She's being held without bond and is scheduled to make her first district court appearance Thursday morning.
According to court records, Martinez started soliciting a friend back in January to kill her husband, who is a Houston firefighter. She told that friend there were problems in their marriage.
On at least two occasions, she stopped by the Casa Ole restaurant on Highway 6 near Little York -- where that friend works as a manager -- to give him cash, her husband's work schedule, a photo of him, and a description of his car.
Records say Martinez had told her friend she wanted the killing done soon, before her husband realized she had withdrawn any more money from their bank account.
On Sunday, the friend came forward to authorities with, among other evidence, a recorded phone call between himself and Martinez.
Martinez was arrested on Tuesday on a charge of solicitation of capital murder. In all, she had given her friend $1,000 to do the job, but promised as much as $1,000 more when it was all done.
local, jessica willey
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 2 min ago
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 15 min ago
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?