Officer critically injured in wreck with 18-wheeler
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Splendora police officer is in a Houston hospital after he slammed into an 18-wheeler in Montgomery County overnight.
It happened around 1:45am in the New Caney area. Splendora Officer Ryan Simpson, 28 was assisting the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in the search for a shooting suspect.
Initial reports indicated the 18-wheeler had pulled out in front of Simpson's patrol car and the patrol car T-boned the tractor trailer. After investigating the incident further, DPS says it now appears that the 18-wheeler was already in the roadway, turning off of Roberts Road onto 1485, prior to Simpson coming westbound on 1485 and crashing into the truck. Simpson reportedly didn't have his lights or sirens on.
Simpson was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he underwent surgery. He's currently listed in critical condition.
The driver of the 18-wheeler suffered a minor neck injury and was taken to Kingwood Hospital as a precaution. No citation was issued to the 18-wheeler driver.
According to DPS investigators there was no alcohol involved in the accident.
We're continuing to follow this story and will post any new updates as soon as they become available.
splendora, local, katie mccall
- Mother killed in police chase remembered
- Mother of drowned girl uses her story to save lives
- Detectives: Road rage leads to fatal shooting
- Search ends for missing swimmer at San Luis Pass
- Girl critical after nearly drowning in Cleveland pond
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued
- UH police investigating on-campus robbery
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- HCSO sergeant killed in crash laid to rest
- Warmer weather on its way to Houston area
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboards, rides toy cars
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos