Emergency crews rescue worker trapped in trench
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Firefighters rescued a construction worker who was trapped in a deep hole in east Houston last night.
The incident happened around 7:30pm near Victoria and Wayside. He was part of a construction crew working in an east Houston neighborhood; they were laying some pipe, when a partial collapse took place. The lower part of the man's body was trapped between a boulder and a pipe for about two hours.
"You've got to be very careful, you can't just pull him out," said James Wisnoski with the Houston Fire Department. "You gotta dig around and get all of the dirt from around him and get a harness on him, and that way they get him pulled out
He was then taken to the hospital for treatment. During the ordeal, the worker was given a cell phone and was able to call his family to let them know what was going on. He is expected to be OK.
local, elissa rivas
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 39 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 3 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 50 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Big quake strikes off N. California, no tsunami threat 4 min ago