Neighbor rescues girl from dog attack
FRIENDSWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- A Friendswood resident is being credited with saving a young girl from a dog attack.
The attack happened around 7:30pm Wednesday in the 500 block of Meadow Bend Drive. Family members say the girl was bitten all over, and they were lucky their neighbor was so alert.
"I just dove in, it was scary," Jason Huff said.
As a U.S. Marine, Huff is always ready for action. So on Wednesday night when he heard a neighbor's dog barking in front of his house, he knew something was wrong and rushed outside.
"I just screamed bloody murder and just ran right at the dogs and luckily, they ran right off," Huff said.
Huff says the dogs were attacking his neighbor's 10-year-old daughter. Police say the two dogs got out of another neighbor's backyard, charged the young girl and started biting her while she was outside getting the mail.
"It's any parent's worst nightmare," the girl's father said.
The girls' parents were finishing dinner when they heard screaming. By the time they raced outside, Huff had already chased the dogs away.
"She was actually in shock. She was just shocked. She didn't cry. She didn't say anything for a couple of hours," the girl's mother said.
Huff saw bite marks all over her body.
"On her legs, her torso, her shoulder, it was pretty grizzly," he said.
Friendswood EMS arrived and treated the child. She was then transported to a hospital, where she was treated and released.
Now, the dogs owner, Shannon Berg, could face charges.
"I'm sorry for everything that happened and we never meant for anybody to get hurt. They're great neighbors, I hope the little girl has a full recovery and wish her the best and we're going to do anything we can to help her," Berg said.
Friendswood police and an animal control officer followed up with the victim's family. Investigators say Huff's quick thinking saved the little girl's life.
"Fight or flight and I was fighting. It was scary," Huff said.
Huff is happy he could help and so are the girl's parents.
"We are just very, very grateful to him. He's very humble," the girl's father said.
The two dogs were seized by animal control and will be quarantined for the next 10 days.
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 48 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends 18 min ago
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak 4 min ago
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
31 min ago