Neighbor rescues girl from dog attack
FRIENDSWOOD, TX (KTRK) -- A Friendswood resident is being credited with saving a young girl from a dog attack.
The attack happened around 7:30pm Wednesday in the 500 block of Meadow Bend Drive. Family members say the girl was bitten all over, and they were lucky their neighbor was so alert.
"I just dove in, it was scary," Jason Huff said.
As a U.S. Marine, Huff is always ready for action. So on Wednesday night when he heard a neighbor's dog barking in front of his house, he knew something was wrong and rushed outside.
"I just screamed bloody murder and just ran right at the dogs and luckily, they ran right off," Huff said.
Huff says the dogs were attacking his neighbor's 10-year-old daughter. Police say the two dogs got out of another neighbor's backyard, charged the young girl and started biting her while she was outside getting the mail.
"It's any parent's worst nightmare," the girl's father said.
The girls' parents were finishing dinner when they heard screaming. By the time they raced outside, Huff had already chased the dogs away.
"She was actually in shock. She was just shocked. She didn't cry. She didn't say anything for a couple of hours," the girl's mother said.
Huff saw bite marks all over her body.
"On her legs, her torso, her shoulder, it was pretty grizzly," he said.
Friendswood EMS arrived and treated the child. She was then transported to a hospital, where she was treated and released.
Now, the dogs owner, Shannon Berg, could face charges.
"I'm sorry for everything that happened and we never meant for anybody to get hurt. They're great neighbors, I hope the little girl has a full recovery and wish her the best and we're going to do anything we can to help her," Berg said.
Friendswood police and an animal control officer followed up with the victim's family. Investigators say Huff's quick thinking saved the little girl's life.
"Fight or flight and I was fighting. It was scary," Huff said.
Huff is happy he could help and so are the girl's parents.
"We are just very, very grateful to him. He's very humble," the girl's father said.
The two dogs were seized by animal control and will be quarantined for the next 10 days.
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 1 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 22 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 7 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home