Memorial Middle School teacher accused of having sex with student appears in court
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A middle school teacher accused of having sex with a student appeared briefly in court Thursday morning.
Kathryn Murray, 28, is charged with sexual assault of a child. She'll return to court on May 9. Murray was an eighth grade teacher at Memorial Middle School in Spring Branch ISD. Prosecutors say she had sex with a 15-year-old student at his house last month while his parents were out.
"It is a sad case when you have a person who is in a position of trust that you're sending your child to a school and you're thinking the teacher is looking out for your child. We always view them as another protector. And then they are taking advantage of your child," said a spokesperson for the boy's family.
Murray is free on bond. She had to surrender her passport and is wearing a GPS monitor.
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus 25 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela 16 min ago
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!