HISD: North Forest ISD annexation off - for now
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Education Commissioner Robert Scott notified the Houston Independent School District today that he is withdrawing his plan for HISD to annex the North Forest ISD for the 2012-2013 school year.
In July 2011, Scott notified both districts that he wanted HISD to annex the 7,500-student North Forest ISD in July 2012, but that is no longer an option, according to the Texas Education Agency.
"From the time Commissioner Scott announced his annexation plan last summer, HISD has been clear that while we have not sought this action, we stand ready to abide by any decision he makes," said Superintendent Terry Grier. "HISD will continue making the success of all the students we serve the driving force behind every decision we make as a district."
In his letter, Commissioner Scott left open the possibility of ordering HISD to annex North Forest in July 2013.
North Forest ISD issued the following statement:
- "The Board of Trustees for the North Forest Independent School District is pleased with the decision announced today by the Texas Education Agency to allow NFISD another year to demonstrate it can sustain recent improvements that are already in progress. This is an opportunity for the Board and Superintendent to continue their work improving the district's academic and financial accountability. The TEA noted that while the district has experienced problems in the past, it is making steady progress now toward solving them. The agency's order says that if NFISD continues its progress, the order to merge it with the Houston School District will be withdrawn. This is a remarkable victory for the students, parents, teachers and the community of North Forest."
houston isd, north forest isd, local
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns