HISD: North Forest ISD annexation off - for now
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Education Commissioner Robert Scott notified the Houston Independent School District today that he is withdrawing his plan for HISD to annex the North Forest ISD for the 2012-2013 school year.
In July 2011, Scott notified both districts that he wanted HISD to annex the 7,500-student North Forest ISD in July 2012, but that is no longer an option, according to the Texas Education Agency.
"From the time Commissioner Scott announced his annexation plan last summer, HISD has been clear that while we have not sought this action, we stand ready to abide by any decision he makes," said Superintendent Terry Grier. "HISD will continue making the success of all the students we serve the driving force behind every decision we make as a district."
In his letter, Commissioner Scott left open the possibility of ordering HISD to annex North Forest in July 2013.
North Forest ISD issued the following statement:
- "The Board of Trustees for the North Forest Independent School District is pleased with the decision announced today by the Texas Education Agency to allow NFISD another year to demonstrate it can sustain recent improvements that are already in progress. This is an opportunity for the Board and Superintendent to continue their work improving the district's academic and financial accountability. The TEA noted that while the district has experienced problems in the past, it is making steady progress now toward solving them. The agency's order says that if NFISD continues its progress, the order to merge it with the Houston School District will be withdrawn. This is a remarkable victory for the students, parents, teachers and the community of North Forest."
houston isd, north forest isd, local
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle