Officials: Liberty County toddler died from accidental drowning
LIBERTY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- The Liberty County Sheriff's Office tells Eyewitness News that two-year-old Devon Davis died from an accidental drowning.
The Cleveland boy's body was discovered in a pond Saturday after a five-day search.
Authorities in Liberty County had just called off the ground search for the missing toddler, but moments later, a drone helicopter spotted the body under water in a murky pond.
The red-headed, blue-eyed boy disappeared Tuesday afternoon while his mom dozed off for a nap. She awoke to find a door unlatched.
Family members believe the boy ventured off to play with some neighborhood dogs he'd seen roaming near the pond, which is only about 100 yards from the house.
An autopsy was revealed and confirmed the death was accidental.
There will be a visitation Thursday from 5 to 9pm at Neal Funeral Home in Cleveland on Washington St.
The funeral will be Friday at 1pm at Cornerstone Baptist Church, located on Highway 105 between Cleveland and Conroe.
The service will be attended by Liberty County Sheriff Office officials, Texas Rangers, Texas EquuSearch, volunteer firefighters and the many others who helped in the search for Devon.
amber alert, local
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 35 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Amazon accused of cheating customers
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves