Officials: Liberty County toddler died from accidental drowning
LIBERTY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- The Liberty County Sheriff's Office tells Eyewitness News that two-year-old Devon Davis died from an accidental drowning.
The Cleveland boy's body was discovered in a pond Saturday after a five-day search.
Authorities in Liberty County had just called off the ground search for the missing toddler, but moments later, a drone helicopter spotted the body under water in a murky pond.
The red-headed, blue-eyed boy disappeared Tuesday afternoon while his mom dozed off for a nap. She awoke to find a door unlatched.
Family members believe the boy ventured off to play with some neighborhood dogs he'd seen roaming near the pond, which is only about 100 yards from the house.
An autopsy was revealed and confirmed the death was accidental.
There will be a visitation Thursday from 5 to 9pm at Neal Funeral Home in Cleveland on Washington St.
The funeral will be Friday at 1pm at Cornerstone Baptist Church, located on Highway 105 between Cleveland and Conroe.
The service will be attended by Liberty County Sheriff Office officials, Texas Rangers, Texas EquuSearch, volunteer firefighters and the many others who helped in the search for Devon.
amber alert, local
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Joy ride turns tragic for Conroe teens
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes 31 min ago
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf
- Toddler flown to hospital after dog bit him in the face 25 min ago
- Woman says used car's sweet deal turned sour
- Volunteer fire chief dies while battling Brazoria Co. fire
- 'Piles and piles' of bodies in S. Sudan slaughter
- FBI: Teacher admitted drugging kids, then molesting them