Officials: Liberty County toddler died from accidental drowning
LIBERTY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- The Liberty County Sheriff's Office tells Eyewitness News that two-year-old Devon Davis died from an accidental drowning.
The Cleveland boy's body was discovered in a pond Saturday after a five-day search.
Authorities in Liberty County had just called off the ground search for the missing toddler, but moments later, a drone helicopter spotted the body under water in a murky pond.
The red-headed, blue-eyed boy disappeared Tuesday afternoon while his mom dozed off for a nap. She awoke to find a door unlatched.
Family members believe the boy ventured off to play with some neighborhood dogs he'd seen roaming near the pond, which is only about 100 yards from the house.
An autopsy was revealed and confirmed the death was accidental.
There will be a visitation Thursday from 5 to 9pm at Neal Funeral Home in Cleveland on Washington St.
The funeral will be Friday at 1pm at Cornerstone Baptist Church, located on Highway 105 between Cleveland and Conroe.
The service will be attended by Liberty County Sheriff Office officials, Texas Rangers, Texas EquuSearch, volunteer firefighters and the many others who helped in the search for Devon.
amber alert, local
- Tornado Watch in effect across SE Texas 8 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 59 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 35 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 51 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston 49 min ago
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested 52 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 58 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- ISS spacewalk: What are they doing up there?
53 min ago