Houston is fifth largest metro area in U.S.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The greater Houston area is now the fifth largest metroplex in the country.
It jumped ahead of the Philadelphia area to claim the title. Harris County was the fastest growing county in the country last year according to the Census Bureau. Six million people live in the greater Houston area.
At least 139,699 moved to our area between April of 2010 and July of 2011. The metroplex could grow by 21 percent this decade. Dallas, Tarrant, and Bexar Counties are also experiencing major growth.
Texas now has an estimated population of 25.7 million people.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 24 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 22 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven 20 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 34 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 11 min ago
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old