Alleged drunk driver arrested in fatal wreck in northeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There was a deadly crash in northeast Houston Wednesday night and an alleged drunk driver has been arrested.
William Thomas Johnson, 48, is charged with intoxication manslaughter in the fatal wreck. Police say Johnson was driving a gray GMC Sierra pickup truck northbound on the Eastex Freeway service road when he ran the red light at the intersection of Tidwell at around 11:45pm Wednesday. The pickup then struck a blue Volkswagen Jetta traveling eastbound on Tidwell. The Jetta then struck a gold Toyota Camry, along with two other vehicles, a white Chevrolet and a white Cadillac, traveling westbound on Tidwell.
The 43-year-old passenger in the Jetta. was pronounced dead at the scene. His identity is pending verification by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.
The female driver of the Jetta was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
The drivers of the other vehicles were not injured.
Police say Johnson failed a field sobriety test and was taken to the hospital for blood alcohol testing.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident