Freeway re-opens early after weekend construction
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A closure in downtown Houston created a traffic mess over the weekend, but officials announced Sunday that the roadways would be open earlier than expected.
All southbound main lanes of Southwest Freeway between Interstate 10 and Interstate 45 in downtown Houston were blocked so crews could repair the Bell Street Bridge, which was damaged by vehicles over the maximum height requirement attempting to pass under the structure.
Two connectors and two entrance ramps that were closed over the weekend were also opened early: I-10 eastbound connector to 59 southbound, I-10 East Freeway westbound connector to 59 southbound, 59 southbound entrance from Quitman Street and 59 southbound entrance from Lyons Avenue.
The closure started at 9pm Friday and was supposed to last until Monday at 5am, but workers finished the job hours sooner than they expected.
Officials said they were trying to get ahead of schedule in anticipation of inclement weather.
Crews were out Sunday night, removing barricades and preparing to open to roadways in time for morning commuters.
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 57 min ago
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 2 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 21 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 41 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 50 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 19 min ago
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?