Freeway re-opens early after weekend construction
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A closure in downtown Houston created a traffic mess over the weekend, but officials announced Sunday that the roadways would be open earlier than expected.
All southbound main lanes of Southwest Freeway between Interstate 10 and Interstate 45 in downtown Houston were blocked so crews could repair the Bell Street Bridge, which was damaged by vehicles over the maximum height requirement attempting to pass under the structure.
Two connectors and two entrance ramps that were closed over the weekend were also opened early: I-10 eastbound connector to 59 southbound, I-10 East Freeway westbound connector to 59 southbound, 59 southbound entrance from Quitman Street and 59 southbound entrance from Lyons Avenue.
The closure started at 9pm Friday and was supposed to last until Monday at 5am, but workers finished the job hours sooner than they expected.
Officials said they were trying to get ahead of schedule in anticipation of inclement weather.
Crews were out Sunday night, removing barricades and preparing to open to roadways in time for morning commuters.
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier 6 min ago
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Niko Niko's World Gyro Eating Championship held today 23 min ago
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- Expect hot, humid conditions next couple of days
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos