New energy-efficient HISD campus at Berry Elementary School in NE Houston dedicated
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Independent School District has unveiled the new home of its environmental science magnet program. And it's only appropriate that the new facility at Berry Elementary School is part of HISD's Green School Challenge.
A dedication was held Monday morning at Berry Elementary in northeast Houston. The school is among several schools in the Green School Challenge, where students track how much energy is used at their campus and find ways to cut back.
"This whole planet uses life, so we should really take care of it," said 5th grader Erick Velazquez.
At Berry Elementary, you'll find water collection barrels, an outdoor garden, smart boards in classrooms and a new high-tech library. The school expects to use 38 percent less water and 25 percent less energy than other schools its size.
"The kids have responsibilities. So we're teaching kids about energy conversation, water conservation," said Berry Elementary School Principal Deborah Silber.
Even the curriculum here is all about going green: Each grade has learning pods about energy and their music classes use handmade recycled instruments
"It goes home. We have examples where parents are now recycling when they were not recycling before," Silber said.
HISD has plans on having more schools going green in the district.
houston isd, local
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- Will the mascots remain the same?
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death 8 min ago
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- House approves budget bill; now goes to Senate 7 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating'
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge