Kayaking boy, 9, reels in shark off Galveston Island
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- A boy and his dad caught a beast of a fish Sunday in Galveston, and they've got the incredible footage to prove it.
Kevin Stevens and his 9-year-old son, Hunter, go on regular fishing trips together. Sometimes they catch redfish, flounder, drums or alligator gar. Other times, it gets a bit more exciting.
The beach was crowded Sunday as the pair climbed into their kayak and headed out into the gulf.
Before long, Hunter was reeling in a blacktip shark. His dad helped him get it in as it was brought closer to the kayak.
Hunter's mother, Christina Stevens, said sharks are showing up earlier than usual this year. They lost two large sharks Sunday and one last week before making this big catch at Beach Pocket Park 16. It's their first shark of the season.
This isn't Hunter's first shark catch ever by any means. He's practically a pro already.
In fact, we told you about another large shark Hunter and his father caught in the same spot last August.
Christina Stevens told us that Hunter isn't frightened at all by the creatures. Instead, he's fascinated by them and he always looks forward to his next fishing trip. She said he has a passion for marine biology, and he loves spending time with his dad.
We want your fish pics
So you might not have caught a shark like Kevin and Hunter did, but we still want to see your fishing photos. Email them to email@example.com and we'll post them with the rest here: http://iwitness.abc13.com/ChannelGallery.aspx?c=5281.
- weather: Severe weather across SE Texas
- Search in OK nears completion; tornado was EF5
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Strong storms roll over SE Texas 19 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using?
- 2nd suspect in Alief murders surrenders
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium diversion case
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned 58 min ago
- Microsoft's Xbox One to go on sale late 2013
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos