Boy, 11, fatally shot in northwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Witnesses say kids playing with a loaded weapon at a home in northwest Houston ended in tragedy Sunday when an 11-year-old boy was shot and killed.
Houston police are calling this an accidental shooting.
They say the boy was with other children at a condominium complex in the 2000 block of Laverne Street near Hammerly Blvd. in the Spring Branch area when the shooting happened around 2pm.
The child's grandmother, Susan Wenzel, told us that her 11-year-old grandson, Alex Whitfield, died from a gunshot wound he suffered at his father's home.
Police told her and the boy's mother that the child was playing with four other children when they found a gun.
The grandmother says they were told a child grabbed the gun and it went off, ricocheting and hitting the boy.
"As soon as he got shot, he ran inside and he fell in the living room and my neighbor -- she's a nurse. She came outside and did CPR for 10 minutes, but he passed away," witness Brian Esparza said.
Wenzel says medical staff performed CPR on the child for 40 minutes, but couldn't bring him back.
Neighbors say no adult was home at the time of the shooting. The victim's grandmother confirms that a 16-year-old was babysitting the children.
The case is still under investigation.
local, christi myers
- 37 killed after tornadoes rip through Oklahoma 2 min ago
- Suspected chop shop raided in NW Harris County
- Court appearance for man accused in attack at nail salon
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Proposed office tower worries neighbors
- Gunman sought after man killed inside restaurant
- Man charged in death of mail carrier
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
- Texans hit the field for first day of OTAs
41 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos