Umpire dies after heart attack during softball game
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- A local community was in shock Saturday after the death of a man who collapsed while umpiring a softball game.
Ricky Scearce Jr., 60, reportedly suffered a heart attack Friday night at the Aldine Independent School District Softball Complex.
He collapsed during the second inning of a playoff game between Cinco Ranch and MacArthur.
According to his daughter, Cara Smith, Scearce was later pronounced dead at Memorial Herman Northeast Hospital.
Smith told The Rancher that her father was a former employee at Katy ISD and had been umpiring since he was in college. Smith described him as "a healthy man."
Scearce is survived by his wife of 38 years, Judy. He also had four grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- Montgomery County DWI cases under scrutiny
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: Teen at center of alleged assault partially lied
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos