Another group backs Hobby expansion proposal
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's new and significant support for expanding Hobby Airport and adding international flights.
For weeks now, one of the hottest topics around Houston has been the future of Hobby Airport. Southwest Airlines wants to fly international flights out of Hobby, and now the Greater Houston Partnership is the latest business group to push its support for the idea.
In a statement released to Eyewitness News, GHP Chairman Tony Chase says:
"This is a critically important issue for Houston. We want two vibrant airports and the benefits that go along with it: more jobs, more travelers, and a competitive advantage for our city."
However, critics like United Airlines and others have gone on record against the idea, saying expansion at Hobby will hurt activities at the other airport and potentially cost jobs at Bush Intercontinental.
Meantime, Texas Organizing Project is working hard to make sure the community's concerns over the controversial issues are heard.
Members of the advocacy group are meetings and canvassing the southeast side talking to neighbors. Durrell Douglas tells us about some of the issue neighbors are bringing up.
"Who is going to make sure that those streets, like Mykawa and Bellfort, that flood every time we get a heavy rain are going to be taken care of? If this is going to bring 10,000 jobs, like the study stated, are those jobs going to be given to people here in Houston, and more specifically to the people that live and work around Hobby Airport?" Douglas said.
Some community members are pointing out they thinks it's rather interesting the Greater Houston Partnership would announce its support for the airport expansion on the same day City Council approved its $360,000 consulting bid for the Houston Airport System.
local, demond fernandez
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive