Confrontation turns deadly at NW Harris Co. gas station
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Deputies are trying to solve the mystery of what killed an assault suspect who was being held by victims as they waited for authorities.
The deadly confrontation happened at a Valero gas station on FM 1960 near Kuykendahl in northwest Harris County.
According to authorities, there were four people -- two men and two women -- in a car getting gas when a fifth person came up and assaulted one of the women. The suspect left right after the alleged attack.
The woman who was hit and one of her male companions went into the store to get some ice for her wound. That is when the suspect apparently came back to the scene but this time with a rock in his hand.
"He assaulted the female, left the scene, came back on foot with a rock. He threw the rock trough the back window of their vehicle," said Sgt. Ben Beall with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The two male companions chased this guy down, caught up with him over here by the Shipley's Donuts. They were holding him when deputies arrived. When deputies approached him the male was unresponsive."
The suspect died at the scene. They don't know what caused the suspect to die.
Police say the people who were attacked are being questioned. The woman who did suffer a wound was taken to the hospital to be checked out.
local, miya shay
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail